Building a Gimbal (Part 4)

We rebuilt the whole gimbal with sturdier, 5.4mm acrylic sheets that I laser cut. I thought that some of the ocillations at extreme angles were due to the whole structure flexing too much. I had used a thinner, 3.2mm acrylic sheet earlier and I thought it flexed too much, messing up the readings to the IMU. However, despite rebuilding the whole thing much stronger, the problem persists.  After reading the threads from the developer(OlliW) of this board, it appears that it needs to work with a second IMU to work beyond tilting it more than 45 degrees. This is due to some gimbal lock problems. I know that there is a second IMU on the main board itself that will behave as the second IMU, as seen here. I probably have to work out in the GUI how to get that activated.

Anyway, in this Mk II build of the gimbal, I cut holes for the main controller board to be screwed onto the base, allowing it to be securely fastened.

Here are some pictures of the setup I use to bend the acrylic. I laser it on the machine at the robotics lab at Imperial, heat up the pieces with a heat gun until it is soft and bend it over right angled edge with another flat piece to get the 90 degree bend on the acrylic pieces.

Here is a video showing the problem of the gimbal going out of control at steep angles.

Hopefully we will be able to fix the problem quickly.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *